Thursday, December 3, 2020

Everyday Life Magic

 ´Give the people what they want, yes, but why not give them something truly amazing´.


Graham Swift writes with a medical precision. The words is at their place and together they create a world that cannot fail the rules of magic design. When I´ve seen his name on the cover, I couldn´t resist the temptation to grab the book, Here We Are, as I knew that no matter the topic, there will be some beautiful wording to enjoy.

Set in a timeline that covers the WWII years in the UK, but also the performing arts scene at the end of the 1950s until 2009, this short book is a story about a three magicians, Jack and Ronnie and Evie, their assistant. It´s an everyday life story of their shows, interactions, disappearances and tricks. Evie, now in her mid 70s, reminds it, but what exactly does she remember? How can she cover facts that were not lived by her, just shared parsimoniously and anyway, subjective interpretations?

It is an elegant game of memory sharing and memories telling in this book that supersedes any clear plot which is almost non-existent. The story goes on, although unsure where it goes and why it is told. It is a matter of writer´s choice who wants to bring to life specific characters and their timelines.

This is one of the reasons why it took me so long to read the book who is less than 200 pages. I didn´t feel involved in the story at all, although definitely appreciative of the writing. I didn´t feel that I really matter, as a reader and I didn´t want it necessarily but the little everyday life is so self-centered and the ´we´ from the title misleading. Which make my reading experience mixed, although worth the effort.

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment