Saturday, December 25, 2021

Short Stories from Romania

 


I´ve heard about Lavinia Braniște a couple of times before reading this very short collection of (2) stories in German translation, Planet Romeo. However, I did not know what exactly to expect from the book, but I not even tried to read out any reviews before loaning it from my online public library. Sometimes I prefer to let myself surprised by my literary (largely random) choices.

My experience with many young writers from Romania - I will not say names, because I am not ready for a sum up - is that the gratuitous aggressivity, particularly of the language. I am not a purist, but I think that there are so many ways to express yourself and cursing is the least smart. Far from me though to conclude that this is a character treat, but I am always on alert.

Planet Romeo includes two very short stories translated into German by Anke Pfeifer and Ernst Wichner, both with recognized credentials as translators from Romanian. There are two short stories, set in the capital city of Bucharest, set around young people longing for intimacy but instead getting hooked on fast sex. The language is acceptable and there are many ambiental descriptions which recreate lively snapshots with a particular history. The stories do have their own dynamic and intrinsic coherence, but as for now, it is too early to evaluate the author´s work. The characters mostly define themselves through their misplaced desires and longings, but other than that it is relatively difficult to get into their psychology and personal history. Call it the limitations of the short story format.

Braniște lives currently in Bucharest and is a translator, mostly of children books. Her novels were multi-awarded in Romania and translated into German as well. My next on my TBR, hopefully until the end of the year is Null Komma Irgendwas - Interior Zero, translated by Manuela Klenke

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment