Thursday, May 19, 2022

Book Review: The Love of My Life by Rosie Walsh

 


Ghosted was one of my best reads of 2018, but had to wait 4 long years until reading something new by Rosie Walsh. And it was worth waiting, as The Love of My Life is impressive in terms of the story construction and spectacular twists.

Emma is a marine biologist who just escaped a cancer verdict. She is in love with Leo, obituary writer, with who she has a daughter, Ruby. But various turns of events, of different impacts and intensities may completely challenge this perfect-looking family. 

This book has one of the best narrative´s construction I´ve read in a long while. Based on a chain of mistrust, deception and lies, and a considerable amount of misunderstanding, it kept constantly my curious and inquisitive mind in a labyrinth of smoked mirrors. I like the idea of playing with half-truth(s), although I felt like I am manipulated to think something, only to be suddenly woke up and revealed another piece of information which changes completely the perspective. The mind games are very elaborated and worked very well, at least in my case.

Until the very end, which is maybe too sweet for my taste, one may not know anything about how everything will turn out. The complex ramifications of the story match perfectly the ambiguity of some of the main characters, as well as their constant breach of trust. Ambiguity and half-meanings are literally played into a story elaborated in the smallest details. 

The Love of My Life is even better than Ghosted which makes me even more curious to have vivid literary dreams about how Walsh´s next book will look like. Hopefully, will not have to wait another long four years to find it out.

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment