Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Random Things Tours: A Game of Deceit by Tim Glister

 


Nothing can take away from me my interest in stories and novels set during the Cold War. Although I was relatively too green to really understand all its everyday life implications, the stories I used to grow up with made me largely familiar with it. Later on, as a political scientist and historian, my main focus was on this period, which influenced on the long term not only the big geopolitical configurations, but also mentalities and the ways in which people got used to react and behave.

Tim Glister´s A Game of Deceit, my second Cold War thriller by this author, is unique among the genre as it is inspired about the situation in a region rarely featured in such books: China. Most of the thrillers - books or movies - covering this timeline do usually concentrate of the complex interactions between US and then Soviet Union, hence, setting a novel mostly in China - Hong Kong at the end of the 1960s -  is a welcomed diversion.

Personally, I liked this book more than my previous one, as it feels like the story is coming together in a more clear way. The duty of extraordinary agent Richard Cox is to uncover a dangerous enemy. The search itself is dangerous, and we are fast took into the Maoist realm and its complex state arrangements. 

The cover is equally worth a mention, a very plastic graphic representation of the Cold War resonating with the story under the book covers.

Rating: 4 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

1 comment: