Thursday, July 13, 2023

Random Things Tours: The Bleeding by Johana Gustawsson translated by David Warriner

 


Being a historian myself, I am very much inclined to avoid historical novels of any kind, because the researcher part of my brain would be always keen to discover the mishaps and inaccuracies. Still, I love crime novels, whenever they happen(ed) therefore, I can silence the overcritical historian sometimes, for the sake of the a good read.

My lucky choice this time was The Bleeding by French-´Queen of Gothic and Noir´ - Johana Gustawsson, translated into English by David Warriner published last year by Orenda Books (long time no book reviews from one of my favorite English edition houses, but it will get better soon, I promise).

Three women, three historical periods of time. A mystery crossing centuries. There is a ritual and  inter-generational secrecy, a dark power and a quest for truth. From Belle Epoque Paris to Québec after the war and in our times, the stories of three women are connecting dark secrets from old times. And there is the quest for the mystery key, that detective Maxine decided to answer the riddle of a ritualistic crime.

The Bleeding may be dark sometimes but it is definitely a Gothic novel tying together three women experiences at the limit of the reality and existential survival. It keeps the reader in constant suspense and under the pressure of unexpected new terrific details. It is not only a journey through history, including women histories, but also a story about occult and dark rituals, and no matter how limited interest I have in real life for such procedures, the literary rendition is done with contextual care and precision.

A special note, as usual when well deserved, to the cover which is as entincing as the women stories hidden under the covers.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

1 comment: