Monday, October 16, 2023

Random Things Tours: The Island by Catherine Cooper

 


As in one of my previous professional lives I used to be a fancy travel writer and influencer, I love books featuring such characters. In general, the world of social media is a permanent fascination for me and I am trying to read as many books as possible inspired by this contemporary fragment of everyday reality.

The Island, the fourth book by bestseller author Catherine Cooper, an author I´ve previously reviewed on the blog, it is based on a story set among travel influencers, invited to report from a fancy island in Maldives. Suddenly, there are murders and it is very difficult to figure out why and how did it happen. Crimes, in general, are hard to grasp, they are a violent reality encounter that denies the human logic. Is the escape about to turn into a nightmare?

Written mostly through diary entry, The Island is an enigmatic thriller, hard to guess at the very beginning, but once you are advancing through the end of the story things are becoming less unclear, although not easy to read and understand. Actually, I enjoyed the slow immersion into the story, as it helps to create an ambiance as well as to understand more about the protagonists.

I´ve read it one half weekend, and really enjoyed entering the skin of some of the characters and trying to understand what are they up to. I would have love maybe a faster pace, but if you think about the ending, it makes sense to get to know the characters and their motivations first.

Rating: 3.5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

1 comment: