Wednesday, March 6, 2024

Random Things Tours: The Collapsing Wave by Doug Johnstone

 


I rarelly read sequels of books I haven´t read yet and even rarely I am keep to bring some science fiction into my life. But when it happens, I definitely want to be offered the best of the best, nothing less, nothing more. 

The Collapsing Wave by Doug Johnstone, an author I had the chance to previously feature on my blog more than once, published by the one and only Orenda Books was my exception. 

To be honest, I didn´t know what to expect: I liked the sound of the title and also the cover, two reasons good enough to embark on a long reading adventure.

The book is a sequel of the famous The Space Between Us, this book can be also read and understood as a stand alone book. I would be curious to read the first book as well, but as for now, The Collapsing Wave is strong enough to stay with me for a long while. 

The story enfolds in a real collapsing wave pace: it involves - not necessarily in this order: aliens´ presence on Scotland´s West coast, M17 agents and a lot of US military personnel. Lennox, a teenager with a problematic  and his mother Heather, together with Ava, a new mother, are planning to escape a military base. As they were ready for the worse ever, there is an alien, Sandy, making contact with them, and this encounter is about to change the world.

I am not very familiar with the language and the narrative settings of science fiction, but this book is an exercise of imagination, even for the most non-creative minds among us. I´ve found fascinating the setting as well as the characters - humans and aliens - particularly the ways in which big topics of our society are inserted into the fiction. There may be some easy takes and a little bit of fine humour too, but the questions about humans and their lost humanity is burning hot.

The takes and the character development do make The Collapsing Wave into a provoking read. 

Rating: 4 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

1 comment: