Wednesday, November 16, 2022

Random Things Tours: The Cruise by Catherine Cooper


I haven´t been on a cruise yet and I don´t have this in my travel cards for the next years, but nevertheless I feel that from the mystery thriller point of view, the claustrophobic perspective of being caught on a huge boat, in the middle of the sea, is a great choice. There could be so many things happening on a cruise and crime is one of the things that come to mind the fastest. 

Catherine Cooper´s The Cruise is using this motive in order to create a crime story which is hard to leave down before the riddle is solved. 

During a New Year´s Party on a glamorous large cruise ship in the Carribean, the dancer Lola disappears without trace. There is no corpse but no other way to find her either. The mystery is well built around this important event, and although the pace may not be very fast, it allows the unfolding of additional events as well as to focus on the cast of characters.

Who is/was Lola actually? What it is known about her ? As the main character in the book, who is weaving the rest of the story, she remains mostly mysterious. However, there is another timeline which takes shape, about a 15 years old girl named Laura, reclusely growing up with her father.

Personally, most of the twists of the story took me by surprise. As the suspicions of murder are becoming more and more real, there are other characters randomly involved in the investigation, but no matter on whom I placed my bets, I didn´t succeed to guess right, not even in percentage of 75%. Which is also perfectly fine, because surprise mystery solutions is one of the reasons I keep reading mystery thrillers anyway.

The Cruise is an eventful and unexpected story, hard to put down and captivating, a must read by any crime and thriller lover.

Rating: 4 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

1 comment: