Monday, November 14, 2022

Random Things Tours: My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex Prud´homme

 

Julia Child is the poster child to anyone that entered late in life the world of cooking. For someone like me, who spent most of my youth avoiding food and then, miraculously, out of nowhere discovering the passion of baking or cooking complicated recipes, with equally unusual spices. Cooking may not be in our genes, but at least it can be learned with motivation and love for cooking.

The newest edition of My Life in France by Julia Child with Alex Prud´homme introduced by Olivia Potts is never outdated. Personally, I loved the graphic cover, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that even after the second reading - and the film based on the book in between - my level of interest was all time high. I rarely read a book twice, but this memoir is so intelligently and humorously written than it overpasses efortless the test of time.

One of the reasons may be that Julia Child was a personality bigger than life itself. The adventures of the 36 yo Californian that before moving to France had ´zero interest in the stove´ are an existential journey of a woman trying to follow her passion. Exactly how any influencer and blogger will describe their job nowadays.

Besides Child´s journey through life and her late love for food, My Life in France is also a testimony about the post-WWII France and the place food played in the reinvention of the country after the war, as seen through American eyes. The photos illustrating the book, from the personal archives of the Child family do add more authenticity to the stories as well as a personal touch.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

 

2 comments: