Friday, November 18, 2022

Random Things Tours: What´s for Dessert? by Claire Saffitz


Once upon a time I stumble upon cookbooks that are so well written and inspiring that I am almost crying for my lost chances of continuing my food blogging. Because, once upon a time I used to be a food blogger (too) developping recipes and testing new ingredients and even prepared the menu for a small friendly wedding once - hope they don´t hate me for same small mishaps in some recipes...I have a complicate relationship with food, but never a bad relationship with books. Therefore, even I may be on a break from foodie experiments, my love for books is always with me. Including cookbooks. 


Multi-awarded cookbook author and chef Claire Saffitz is first and foremost a ´dessert person´. Her latest book What´s for Dessert is a testimony of her love for sweets, well done but easy to prepare. My favorite kind of sweets, especially given the very limited time I own lately.

When it comes to cookbooks, no matter how extraordinary the recipes are, what appeals first is the visual form: the photographies are raising the expectations about one may have on the table if trying the recipe. Definitely it doesn´t always happen, but that´s what inspire many of us to try or not a recipe. In the case of this book, the photographies are colourful and joyous and I can believe the author´s word when describing many of the fancy looking desserts as having a ´very easy´ level of difficulty. 

What impressed me as well in this book is the precision of the directions as well as the FAQ-like approach while exploring various possible variants and possible directions and combinations - of ingredients, directions, timing etc. 

Therefore, the book is particularly recommended to time-bounded chefs in the making. Someone that needs to get some encouragement while trying some fancy looking recipes. The ingredients are affordable in most cases and one can bake within 2 hours. I would love to get back on the baking track and start my day trying one recipe or another before the noisy rest of the house is up. I am sure my days will be not only sweeter but I will also be more motivated in anything I am planning to do. 

All being said, please excuse me for being a bit offline for the coming days, but names like Salty Cashew Blondies, Morning Glorious Loaf Cake, No Bake Strawberry Ricotta Cheesecake are calling my name. 

Rating: 5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own 

1 comment: