Friday, November 11, 2022

Random Things Tours: My First Popsicle edited by Zosia Mamet

 


What Patti Smith, Jia Toledano, David Sedaris, Ruth Reichl or Katie Holmes have in common? For instance, that they all published a food story in a volume edited by multi-awarded actress and screenwriter Zosia Mamet. An ´Anthology of Food and Feelings´, My First Popsicle is an inspiring collection of food memories, shared by accomplished creatives. We all need to eat, isn´t it and food connect all of us in the most simple ways.

Each and every one of us has a different relationship with food, different tastes and favorite flavors. Our earliest memories on food are also different. Therefore, each food story is different in its unique relationship with food. This is why I think that food writing is one of the most creative and subjective writing genre because in order to be authentic it should rely on genuine experiences. 

This anthology is no different and although food is not necessarily the main character of the individual stories, it saves and permeates memories, it reminds of good and old times or just offers comfort after a breakup or in-between life changes and challenges. And yes, there are recipes too, well written, with careful details that will make even the clumsiest cook a Michelin-star expert. 

As someone having a very complex relationship with food, My First Popsicle inspired me to understand food in many different ways, following the many complex takes. I know I am late in the cooking realm but I still have time to catch up with sensations and tastes. And books are here, as usual, to help me build my own foodie way.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

2 comments: