Friday, January 1, 2021

Book Review: Minor Detail by Adania Shibli

Here we are, fast forward into the first bookish day of 2021. My first review is of a book that I´ve actually started at the very end of 2020 but although very short - slightly over 100 pages - I wanted to read it as slowly as possible because of the topic and its approach.


Minor Detail is written by the Palestinian author Adania Shibli and was translated into English in 2020 by Elizabeth Jaquette. It´s a relatively short but very condensed book, made of two separate dramatically portrayed episodes.

First, let´s talk about the story: The first episode takes place between 12-13 August 1949 during the Israeli War of Independence. A Bedouin girl is raped and killed by an Israeli soldier. The second episode: Following an account of the murder in the Israeli media, more than 60 years after, a Palestinian woman born exactly 25 years after the incident is obsessively trying to trace the events. 

A mention before we proceed to the next paragraph: I am interested in Palestinian literary voices but I am sadly disappointed by the simplicity of the approaches, that sadly again is what exactly it is required on the literary market pertinent to the topic. I am convinced about the sensitivity of the issue and the narrowmindness of thinking in terms of black-and-white only but filling a victim vs. oppressor narrative without any nuances doesn´t not equate empowerment. The fine nuances and realistic details shared by the books of Sayed Kashua are a noteworthy exception until now for me. Unfortunately, Minor Detail does not go beyond the antagonistic narrative.

Second, the writing. It´s actually the only part that kept me interested. Adania Shibli pens dramatic landscapes breathing tragedy and creates ambiances that suggest more than any direct reference. I was the beneficiary of a work in translation but in my experience, a brilliant translation is based on a bright original text.

For the first day of 2021 it was an easy and unfortunately unsurprising read. I promised myself to not give up though and keep searching for powerful Middle Eastern literary voices. I can´t wait to share more of my discoveries hopefully soon.

Rating: 2.5 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment