Tuesday, June 13, 2023

Acquiring Atomic Habits


My life is a long journey of acquring the best tools to make my life better and easier and more comfortable. Long before I realized how important is to get the trauma out of my DNA and reduce - at least - the negative impact of wars and pogroms and inter-generational traumas, I struggled to get a life friendlier environment for my small family, that excludes being always on survival mood. I just wanted to be alive without the need to live every second of my life perfectly tensed, ready to react to an unfriendly, aggressive environment. I had a luxury that my family haven´t, my parents - of blessed memory - haven´t. But I want to live differently and the price is my life. Worth it...

Part of my self- and induced therapy I follow for almost two decades is to create those small habits that are less or toxic-free, searching for a better health, happier people around me and a daily schedule that helps me to thrive, rather than being at the service of the work force or other people´s moods. Taking care of my health and my wellbeing, being able to say ´no´ and allowing myself to take a breath. Having time for myself without feeling I am an egoistic monster. Learning to put myself - and everything that means - first and enjoying it.

The international best-seller Atomic Habits by James Clear was a reminder of the long journey I went through, and of how long still stays ahead of me. Rationally dismissing any big leaps and radical changes from one day to another, it rather recommends working according to a plan, one step at a time.

The saying goes that one needs 30 days to build a habit, but Clear leaves the numbers out of discussion. In fact, it moves the center of decision on such issues completely on the person, allowing to create instead effective habits, based on a plan, slow rituals and identity projections. What is really important is to place the habit within a larger transformation of yourself. What is the person you want to change into? What is your new, healthier and better you those habits are practiced by? How indulgent and unforgiven should you be with yourself and how often, when your habits plans are not working accordingly?

Definitely, this book does not promise a cure-all for all your bad habits, but may help you start the journey towards more self-love and a healthier - mentally and physically - life.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment