Monday, July 15, 2024

The Bohemians by Jasmin Darznik


The last week I continued my journey through contemporary history fiction novels. I had Jasmin Darznik´s book on Forugh Farrokhzad - one of my favorite poets - on my TBR for a long time, but my library loan by the same author was long overdue thus it had priority.

The Bohemians is a first person account of the life and loves of Dorothea Lange, a lady photographer whose realistic photographic eye I admire since my short 2 years college of arts I did out of curiosity towards a more systematic take on modern arts many years ago. Set on the relatively less known bohemian background of the San Francisco art scene at the beginning to the middle of the 20th century, 

Lange moved here to set up for a new life, but her moderated optimism was shattered as just upon arrival, all her savings were stolen by an attractive thief. Stubborn and meeting well networked friends who put her in touch with those who mattered for her arts, she made it through, despite abusive relationships and economic crisis. The ambiance of those times - the anti-Asian racism, among others, as well as the cultural bohemians, among which Maynard Dixon, her husband, a painter not too much known outside the USA, worth (re)discovering though - is described in a way allowing the reader to imagine the cultural and economic landscapes, although the insertions about the Spanish flu were too similar to the recent pandemic accounts to not sound at times completely out of context.

The use of the first person account was a blessing and a curse. Blessing because it builds the whole narrative around her and allows to take unique directions - like friendship, instead of a linear biographical life account, but a curse as it limits the view and the diversity of perspectives. I´ve also found the timeline sometimes alluring, as it may be very detailed only to jump over decades, just a chapter later.

Although I´ve found the book interesting and intriguing, but not necessarily my style, I would give it one more chance and promise to review soon her book on Forugh as well. Just need to give it a try only after my library loans pile is getting at least 15-book smaller.

Rating: 3.5 stars


 

No comments:

Post a Comment