Thursday, July 28, 2022

Random Things Tours: The Girl in the Photo by Heidi Amsinck


In the last two years at least I had the chance to get to know a plethora of representatives of the Nordic Noir but it seems there is no end to the quality writing created in this part of Europe. It is a fascinating literary history in the making that I am glad I got to know and even feature on my blog.


My latest discovery is Danish-born journalist Heidi Amsinck, currently based in London. The Girl in the Photo is the second in the series featuring the curious retired journalist Jensen and his helper and apprentice Gustav. It was my first though but was easy to read it without connecting it to the previous one, My Name is Jensen. However, after getting to know the author´s style and the main cast of characters, I am definitely more than keen to start the other book as well. 

What at the first sight could have been just a murder with robbery, brutally commited against the 90 yo lrene Valborg seems to be at the second sight, more than this. Her diamond necklace was stolen therefore the aim of the culprit is almost clear. But then, soon after, there will be other victims, close to the first victim´s age, and there is a mysterious photo of a girl found at one of the crime scenes. Indeed, it seems to be more than that, and Jensen´s investigative mind is searching for connections and the ultimate thruth.

I´ve found the character of Jensen very relatable and a great match for his journalistic background. The ideas and suggestions are exactly what one may expect from a journalist and this take is largely influencing the rest of the story. He is the center of the plot, and his hints do direct the narrative in one direction or another. 

The details of the plot are revealed in a timely manner while maintaining a constant wondering on behalf of the reader. From the first until the last page it is an engaging read and I almost forgot where my time reading the book went. Well, I suppose I was busy having an imaginary dialogue with Gustav and Jensen about what should be better investigated next. 

The Girl in the Photo is an engaging crime novel with a clever ending and overall story construction. It challenges with unexpected twists and engages the reader, in the most natural storytelling way. The most adventurous way to spend one fully summer day for a crime novel lover.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour, but the opinions are, as usual, my own 


2 comments: