Friday, January 27, 2023

Random Things Tours: The Wife Next Door by Amanda Brooke

 


I am fascinated about thriller books based on relationships between neighbours, as they reveal how a relatively mundane situation can be explored in a creative thrilling way. Although I used to move a lot and therefore, change a lot of neighbours, I haven´t been blessed with any inspiring neighbours. Rather - with one exception, a very old guy obsessed with conspiracy theories - the average bookish type, with whom the relationships haven´t been more than customary polite exchanges.

Amanda Brooke, the author of The Wife Next Door, whose work I just got to know, transposed a fragment of a personal encounter: the experience of seeing a beloved tree being cut down. In the book though, a similar event takes the reader to an unexpected journey of revealing the rotten truth behind beautiful curtains.

It took me some time to enter the mood of the book, but once the ambiance was settled, I couldn´t put it down. The plot is built in the smallest details, with the characters being played skillfully on a chessboard. Although in the end it makes you suspect even the friendlier and happier neighbours, The Wife Next Door may give you some terrifying thoughts, but nevertheless I can easily forget about what my vision on life and humanity is, busy following the fate of the characters. A journey worth taking it.

Rating: 4 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

2 comments: