Saturday, March 4, 2023

Short Stories Book Review: White Dancing Elephants by Chaya Bhuvaneswar

 


For very personal reasons that maybe I will disclose at a certain moment in time, I struggle a lot lately in getting the right focus and mood for reading. I still do read a lot, but I miss the interest in following up long intricate stories. Happily, I have plenty of short stories book to keep my mind attached to.

White Dancing Elephants by practising physician and writer Chaya Bhuvaneswar was waiting to be read for over a year, but it took me half a day to finish it. Actually, to devour it, one story at time. Then, feeling depleted that it ended, maybe too early.

The writing is captivating, with long sentences allowing the ambiance to settle, creating a world in one paragraph. In this realm, the fragments of legends and class struggle, clash of worlds and mental illnesses settle and weave. It may destroy wishful thinking and reveal the naked reality, but nevertheless it does display a wide range of feelings and human questions. The stories do reflect the complexities of everyday life in our modern disfunctional ´civilized´ world therefore their strong sense of human emergency. 

I will love to read White Dancing Elephants any time soon, for the literary inspiration and humanity in its fragility and ambiguity.

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment