Thursday, October 26, 2023

Short Stories Book Review: I Hear You´re Rich by Diane Williams


Since two weeks, I can hardly read and review anything but books I am commissioned to for my regular book tours. Short stories and poetry though keep my world on artificial ventilation, a time limited escape from a reality I´ve seen maybe coming but couldn´t accept the thought of it.

A couple of months ago I´ve read my first Diane Williams collection of short stories and this week I got to finish her newest release: I Hear You´re Rich. Short stanzas from the everyday life, questioning the questions, leading you from one word to another in a different direction you dreamt of. I love brevity, especially in stories and Williams has her own art of creating the intense moment, like a cinematic moment carefully and assiduously prepared for a long time. A preparedness known by the author herself, but still surprising the reader. Each story can be read over and over again, and the concise nature of it will reveal more and more meanings. The richness of the ´short´ genre at its best.

Although I loved the writing, I was not always impressed by the topics. It´s a matter of taste, I know.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment