Monday, November 20, 2023

Rachel´s Random Resources: Pass the Cyanide by Karmen Špiljak

 

From the literary point of view, this year I´ve significantly expanded my outreach in terms of topics and domains of interest. One of my biggest achievement is trying out a large array of short stories collections, both in terms of geographical coverage and styles. (Hopefully, in the next days and weeks I can finish reading and reviewing some of my latest discoveries). However, nothing prepared me for the explosive dangerous taste in Pass the Cyanide by Slovenian-Belgian author Karmen Špiljak, a collection of mystery short stories with a pinch of cyanide. 

The challenge of the short stories is to be able to create stories with developed characters within a relatively limited amount of time. The 14 stories included in Pass the Cyanide are entertaining, mysterious while adding very interesting elements of folklore and fairy tales. The food - including cyanide-free recipes - is often the element that reflects and announces the mysterious challenges for the characters. Definitely, there is always something ´noir´ about it, in different concentrations. 

As a regular crime reader, I didn´t know exactly what to expect from this culinary noir, but in the end my appetite was only screaming for more. As this is actually Špiljak´s second collection of foodie mysteries, I am left with the chance of another delightful menu, hopefully soon. 

Rating: 4.5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

No comments:

Post a Comment