Wednesday, April 26, 2023

Short Stories Book Review: Dahlia Season. Stories and a Novella by Myriam Gurba

 


I don´t remember any other year of my bookish life to have read so many (good and very good) collections of short stories. From one title to another I keep learning about the different arts of being able to convene so much in just a few pages. I love novels and long stories in general, but for someone with an slight to medium attention deficit like me, short stories may be more rewarding than (very) long novels.

Dahlia Season - stories & a novella - by Myrian Gurba is a fine collection of queer stories of coming of age, daring to be different and seeing the world as it is, sometimes cruel, sometimes hilarious. My favorite story is the one opening the collection, Cruising, which gives you exactly the sensation you may have when doing a cruise around, in this case the LA beyond the shining boulevards. From one place and person to another, you are moving slowly, creating a panorama in the making. 

Some of the stories are there for the plot, some for the characters which are strong and memorable, although not necessarily in the right context. Either one or another of the cases, there is hard to leave the stories without memorable fragments of characters or of stories. 

As I am about to read another collection of stories by Gurba - forthcoming -, as well as her true crime Mean, I can´t wait to discover and share more about this author.

Rating: 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment