Sunday, July 30, 2023

Rachel´s Random Resources: The Nurse by Valerie Keogh


 

I am happy to return to an author whose thriller I reviewed later last year was hard to remember. Valerie Keogh is back on my blog with a very interesting thriller which is also an introspection into how frustration and bullying may for ever distort someone else´s life. There is no excuse for bad behaviors, definitely, as doing good or bad is in the end a personal decision, but at least it offers important possible explanations for everyday reactions.

The Nurse is a moderately paced thriller, built around the personality of Lissa McColl, a nurse underestimated at work, with a history of bullying. Her background and personal history is extensively explained in the first part, which although lacking in action and twists - except the thrilling opening ´I was then when I made the decision to kill Jemma´ -, it offers an overview of her personality.

The second part introduces us to her current life and this was by far my favorite, as it is unexpected until the very end and packed with unexpected directions of events and an even unexpected end. However, the two parts of the story complete each other, two perfectly matched halves of the same story.

The Nurse is a book to remember with a main character which is carefully built. Keogh, a nurse herself, introduced a controversial yet relatable thriller persona with a psychologically complex storyline.

For me, Keogh is definitely an author I would love to read more soon.

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

No comments:

Post a Comment