Sunday, September 29, 2024

Under Her Roof by A.A.Chaudhuri

´(...) it´s now clear to me that something very sinister is going on, yet have no idea how to get to the bottom of it´.


Authors that haven´t disapointed me after four books, will not do it with the fifth. It will just go better and better. Those are my thoughts after reading Under Her Roof, the latest by A.A.Chaudhuri. It´s a thriller of just another level, both in terms of writing as well as subject and plot development.

The shy Seb struggling with his writing career, is lucky to have found an elegant room in a luxurious residence in Hampstead. The landlady, a young widow, looks beautiful and charming, but everything seems to be surrounded by mystery and deceit. There are mysterious deaths and a strange agreement he accepted to sign upon the rental´s agreement. There are secrets on both sides and soon all will be caught into a net of dangerous - deadly sometimes - compromises. 

Under Her Roof is a book that kept me thrilled from the first until the last line. The suspense and mystery are extremely carefully planned, each word has its role to play in the story. Nothing happens by accident. The revealing details are shared when you need them more, but most probably, the information will be shocking for the reader. 

Although the fictional layer is very important, and predominates the narrative, there is another direction that it is equally very important to explore, dealing with childhood trauma and abusive parents. It shows how deep the wounds are carved into our souls and how bizarre pathways the emotional survival can take.

I devoured Under Her Roof and I couldn´t stop thinking about it longer after I finished it. It is a book that adds so much to the catalogue of psychological thrillers. I cannot wait to see how far Chaudhuri can get with her next book. I am sure I will not be disappointed.

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment