Sunday, December 26, 2010

Afghan stories


I am not a passionate reader of thrillers and if asked in the middle of the sleep about my favorite writer of this genre I will not be able to answer. I know, nobody's perfect.

As I am equally curious to explore various styles of lecture, I decided two weeks ago that it was about time to start somehow. And, randomly I found at my generous local library two titles, I didn't know they are treating more or less about the same issue: the terror threat against the West, in connection with the London terrorist attacks. And, in this order, I've read: Greg Rucka's German translation Dschihad and Frederick Forsyth's The Afghan.
The same order reflects the order of my preferences: Rucka's book is creative, full of suspense and interesting characters. Forsyth's is very long, with lots of journalistic intros and like looking to cover a certain number of pages. The appeal to the reader is made by various direct introductions of names - not profiles - of the then political and security stars as Stephen Hadley or amb. John Negroponte. 
In the first book, you have a strong spywoman - Tara Chace - descending directly from the pages of the cartoons, killing with cold blod, in various adventures in the Middle East - against and part of intrications of secret services -, in the service of the Queen. The context of the actuality - the terrorist threat, the terrorist attacks against US and London - are the large web where you can knit various literary games.
The Afghan is closely and telegraphically following the news, but excepting the final disappearance of the special agent, at the end of the story, I had the impression of reading a collection of news and opinions. 
For the next days, I have in plan other thrillers on my reading list!
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment