Thursday, August 11, 2022

Ghost Lover: Short Stories by Lisa Taddeo

 

I am falling more and more lately for short stories and I discover more and more subtle arts to write them. I will never betray novels and long stories, but short ones, many of them, do have the ability to open up worlds that because their shortness can convene more mystery and inspire the reader to continue her or himself what the story left unadressed. 

As in the case of novels, the characters from short stories may be sympathetic or not, but nevertheless the quality of the writing and the accuracy of the composition will matter in the end. In the case of the collection of stories by Lisa Taddeo, Ghost Lover, I completely despised the female characters. Insecure, suicidal, obsessed with their weight, appearance, and their unrealistic expectations. Somehow, until the end of the volume I felt that there is almost the same character, wandering aimlessly from one story to another. 

However, their stories are different, although built around almost the same concept. The art of the writer is to amplify in one story what was left behind in another. The terms of the discussions and the relationship framing resonate very much with my millennial mindset but I would rather prefer a way to get out of my own generational mysery. But it is my choice in denial which does not diminish the literary skills of Taddeo. Only that looking myself in the mirror may be exhausting, no matter how much I appreciate my own self.

Rating: 3 stars 

No comments:

Post a Comment