Tuesday, August 30, 2022

Random Things Tours: Class. A Graphic Guide

 


I love graphic novels and I can spend hours reading one of the other. Curiously, my passion for this genre did not started, as it usually happens, in my childhood, but it is relatively a late addition to my bookish life, part of my own journey of expanding beyond the limits of my strict humanistic education and background. Shortly, graphic novel deserve the same appreciation as any other published book, the only condition being to offer a quality content.

As before I was interested in politics and history, I was considering following a career in sociology - following my pen on paper read of the works of Durkheim - I maintain a certain degree of interest for new theories and approaches. But Class. A Graphic Guide, by University of Brighton sociologists Laura Harvey and Sarah Leaney, admirably illustrated by Danny Noble, offers a completely new innovative level of sharing theoretical, scientifically-related knowledge. It goes definitely beyond the usual expectations of an academic content and sociological overview of the category of class, with an inspired match of illustrations and content.

An useful tool to be used in the classroom - both high-school and in the sociology introductory classes, this graphic novel is more than a historical account of the category of class. It offers also short yet clear explanations about the various contextualizations and interpretations of the class, according to different theories and historical moments. 

Class. A Graphic Guide is an innovative approach to sociological theory therefore reaching out to different audiences than the usual classrooms. I am looking forward to discover more creative takes on political, economic and sociological theories. 

Rating: 5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

2 comments: