Book set in Berlin must definitely have a story of two with before and after - the Wall, end of WWII, both. It is a literary stereotype that does not necessarily reflects nowadays what people, especially young people see their own histories and present life. In the end, it depends on the ratio of the books set in Berlin you may read. Maybe my ratio is too high, hence the ennui...
Berlinoise by Wilfriend N'Sondé - alongside another book that will hopefully review soon - was chosen for the language, not the topic. I am longing for more French-ness in my literary life - and not only - therefore the irresistible desire to read more in this language - especially after spending most of my summer vacation time improving my Italian.
This is a short yet passionate novel, a kind of Education sentimentale of a young French musician, landing to Berlin in the last day of 1989, getting to know Maya, a tormented East-Germany born artist, with whom he will passionately live the moment until her decision two years after to leave for the county of her father, Cuba - as in real life, literary characters are allowed to make bad decisions as well.
The passionate story is set on the background of the own political passions shaking the newly reunited Germany, such as the outburst of racial violence and the omnious overpresence of skinheads and Neo-Nazi groups and the frequent deadly attacks against migrants.
I did not know what exactly to expect from this book but besides the literary stereotypes I´ve mentioned before, I enjoyed the reading and the concision of the style, and the story wasn´t that bad after all. I am looking forward to my next book by this author, who returned to France after spending a long time in Berlin working in the field of social assistance.
Rating: 3 stars

No comments:
Post a Comment