Tuesday, August 18, 2026

Random Things Tours: The Uskok by George Sand translated by Lynne Forest


This is my second review in less than a day of a book of historical fiction influence set in Venice so maybe the bookish universe is trying to send me a subtle message that I may not be able to grasp it yet correctly. 

The Uskok by George Sand, translated into English by Lynne Forest,  is a novella of love and passion, in a world of uncertainty. A world where some women are becoming more aware of their strengths, taking bold decisions contradicting the expectations the society - the men´s world, that is - assigned to them. Sand, a strong supporter of female independence and a harsh critique of institutional love - as in marriage -  wrote in the 19th century, and Uskok - the name for the Dalmatian pirates - is set in the 17th century. 

The romantic novel - romantic being usually labelled for stories with exceptional characters reacting under exceptional circumstances is offering to the 21st century reader not only a very active plot, but also invites to think about bravery, honor and courage. The voices from times past still have a lot to teach us today.

I rarely read French books in English translations, but my thirst for reading was bigger than my vanity therefore I accepted the challenge. I´ve read George Sand before and I remember how complex is the original French. Therefore, my biggest admiration for the elegant translation by Lynne Forest, who brought to life a linguistic realm that is so far from hours, without altering the original symbolism and historical and fictional register.

Rating: 4.5 stars

Disclaimer: Book offered as part of the book tour but the opinions are, as usual, my own

No comments:

Post a Comment