Sunday, July 11, 2021

Children Book Review: Eyes that Kiss in the Corners

 


There is such a deep happiness to finally be able to read a book you wanted to - for all the very good reasons - for a very long time. Especially when it is such a beautiful story.

Eyes that Kiss in the Corners by Joanna Ho, illustrated by Dung Ho has a touch of beauty that you rarely encounter - both in books and in real life - those days. I´ve read it to my son several times because both of us could not have enough of the images that seem to tell the story from heart to heart. 

The language is equally evocative and empathic. Those eyes that ´kiss in the corners and glow like warm tea´ are a generational pattern but through them, there are thousands of stories told and remembered. Indeed, not all eyes look the same, but each pair are a beautiful mirror through the soul and those stories are rich and deeply connect generations. 

My only issue for me had to do with language though. As this picture book is recommended for children between 2 and 7 years old, I´ve found the final sentence of the book a little bit difficult to explain to my (almost) 6 yo son. What is a ´revolution´ and how can I explain it in a very easy, childish way?

This book is a recommended read for understanding from an early age the differences which make us unique, as well as the respect towards differents heritage and physical appearances. We need more and more such stories to be told to our children. I will definitely be sure to include Joanna Ho´s next books on my list of multicultural reads. 

Rating: 4.8 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment