Thursday, June 13, 2024

Books in Romanian: Râsul by Dorina Rusu


The last time I´ve read a book in Romanian was more than one year ago, and it was a nonfiction book - a book about contemporary history. My last encounter with Romanian literature in Romanian was probably many years ago, but faithful to my New Year´s Resolution, I am trying to make time to discover new authors and titles. The easiest way to my heart is through short stories and I inaugurated my new season of Romanian literature with a collection of 12 short stories by Dorina Rusu, Râsul - The Laugh.

Rusu, who was a journalist after the fall of communism, published the book in 2018. Although independent, the stories do have a common character denominator, Otilia, who is playing different age roles. The prose is alert, short, descriptive enough to introduce us to the ambiance of the book, concise in dialogues nevertheless leaving the reader with a strong impression. 

Maybe some stories do have an autobiographical note, but which writer will not be inspired to write (also) by his or her life experiences.

The contemporary references do belong to the timeline where the stories are set: miners - a social category called by political authorities of the time to attack the urban, educated members of the opposition - among others, and a destitute poet who was desperately trying to get back into the public sphere.

The stories do have a special social footprint, which always suits well a short story, a favorite take for me, because I believe in the power of stories encountered while doing journalistic field reports. 

Râsul opened my appetite for more contemporary Romanian literature, including short stories, hopefully soon.

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment